generated by sloganizer.net

16. november 2010

"Oda a los calcetines" - Ode to socks

If you've followed my blog for a while, you'll know that I'm not a sock knitter. And I never thought I'd own a sock blocker. But look at this!

The pattern is Pinnguri's Jernverk sokker (Socks Wrought Iron Work).

It's a lovely pattern. I've used sock yarn from Ninukka and Black cat fiber, both Etsy shops. Needle 2 mm (I'm quite impressed by myself, I must admit). But I won't make it a habit....

When the first sock was finished, I felt a sudden and surprising need for a sock blocker, an item I never thought I'd want. I looked around, and I saw that Annepålandet was looking for the same thing. She got several answers, among other a tuorial for making one yourself. But knowing myself, I knew I'd never get around to do that. So I ended up buying from Projo. I actually expected I'd get two blockers for the price, but when I looked closer at the order, it was only one. But I won't be finishing two socks at the same time, I reckon.

The blocker is is quite thick and heavy, so if necessary I can use it as a weapon. A boomerang, maybe...

And here's the proof - two finished socks!!



On Pinneguri's blog I also found a link to Knit Picks' podcasts, and listened to a post about knitting and literature. There was a beautiful poem about socks - and I learned it was by one of my favourite poets from Chile, Pablo Neruda. I found the original version somewhere on the Internet. You can find the English translation here.

Oda a los calcetines

Me trajo Mara Mori
un par de calcetines,
que tejió con sus manos de pastora,
dos calcetines suaves como liebres.
En ellos metí los pies
como en dos estuches
tejidos con hebras del
crepúsculo y pellejos de ovejas.

Violentos calcetines,
mis pies fueron dos pescados de lana,
dos largos tiburones
de azul ultramarino
atravesados por una trenza de oro,
dos gigantescos mirlos,
dos cañones;
mis pies fueron honrados de este modo
por estos celestiales calcetines.

Eran tan hermosos que por primera vez
mis pies me parecieron inaceptables,
como dos decrépitos bomberos,
bomberos indignos de aquel fuego bordado,
de aquellos luminosos calcetines.

Sin embargo, resistí la tentación
aguda de guardarlos como los colegiales
preservan las luciénagas,
como los eruditos coleccionan
documentos sagrados,
resistí el impulso furioso de ponerlas
en una jaula de oro y darles cada
día alpiste y pulpa de melón rosado.

Como descubridores que en la selva
entregan el rarísimo venado verde
al asador y se lo comen con remordimiento,
estiré los pies y me enfundé
los bellos calcetines, y luego los zapatos.
Y es esta la moral de mi Oda:
Dos veces es belleza la belleza,
y lo que es bueno es doblemente bueno,
cuando se trata de dos calcetines
de lana en el invierno

Pablo Neruda














I'm so proud of these socks! Maybe I should frame them? No, I'll wear them! And I will not knit another colourwork sock on 2mm needles in a long, long time!

6 kommentarer:

Nina sa...

You should be proud, those are some seriously great socks!

elli sa...

So pretty! (both the socks and the poem)

ANNEPÅLANDET sa...

Oj, flotte sokker!!! Gratulerer!
Mine er visst ikke helt ferdige enda... Det må jeg gjøre noe med - to halvferdige sokker kommer man jo ikke langt med.
Ha en fin onsdag!

lauren sa...

That is such a fantastic pattern. Your version is gorgeous!

Yarndancer sa...

Those socks are wonderful!! Well done!

Pinneguri sa...

Veldig bra jobba, "godt å være i mål" (skjønner ikke hvorfor jeg ofte får lyst til å bruke fotballbegreper i bloggen din!), oser det av hele innlegget. Og det er det jo. Altså, målstreken, ikke fotballmålet.
Og jeg veit ikke om jeg tror deg helt, eller om du ikke sitter og knoter over sokker på 2 mm snart igjen. Nå som du har klart disse ligger det et helt hav der ute, klart til å oppdages.
(Takk for diktet også.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails